Ok so I think it’s pretty clear by now that spice and I have a bit of a thing going on…it’s getting pretty serious. Naturally, I’m in love with Caribbean flavors. Doubles, red beans and rice, jerk chicken you name it, I’m there. And can we all agree, curry is everything?
Scotch bonnet peppers are amazeballs but can be a very VERY dangerous thing. Like when I was first learning to cook, chopped up some scotch bonnets and without using gloves, scooped up the peppers and seeds into my bare hands, then into the pot. Little did I know my arm would be burning from my elbow to my fingertips for the next 24 hours. Yea, not fun but needless to say, lesson learned! Please y’all, if you’re going to be cooking with hot peppers be sure to wear gloves.
Feel free to use hot sauce and skip the peppers but for those who can handle the heat, oh man does it ever make this a tasty dish. The combination of curry powder, cumin, ginger/garlic and thyme is to die for. The chicken and lentils make for a good, hearty meal and best part is it stays well.
This recipe is typically made with potatoes but I found the lentils work really well as a healthier alternative. There is quite a bit of chopping involved but once you’ve got all of your ingredients ready to go, it’s really just a matter of tossing everything into the pot and letting it cook.
Chicken curry for the win y’all! Tell me your thoughts on this one…
Curry Chicken with Lentils and Chickpeas
Yield: 8 servings Total time: 1.5 hours
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper (seeds removed)
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken boullion cube
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large dish, mix together 1 tbsp curry powder, oregano, thyme, cilantro, hot sauce, 1 tbsp cumin, ginger, garlic, scotch bonnets, red onion, half of the scallion and 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add chicken to the mix and fully coat in marinade. Let this marinate for 1-2 hours.
- In a large dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp oil on medium heat over the stove top. Add chilli flakes,1 tbsp curry powder and 1 tbsp cumin until just sizzling (watch that the chilli flakes don’t burn!)
- Once sizzling, add the chicken to the pot and cook for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add lentils and chickpeas and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the chicken broth. Stir well and scrape up any ingredients that have stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add boullion cube, 1 cup of water, bell peppers and the last tbsp of curry powder and stir to mix.
- Cook on 375°F, covered for about 30 minutes. Take dutch oven out and check to see if more liquid is needed. If so, add another 1/2 -1 cup of chicken broth. Either way, stir the chicken and lentils, cover again and put back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove dutch oven and allow to cool. Just before serving, add the remaining scallion on top.