I hear it all the time, “ohhh, I’m not really into eggplants”. Well not after you’ve tried one of these. I’ve turned so many people’s perception of eggplants around with this dish. It’s a favorite recipe of mine and I’ve been cooking it for years for many reasons!
It packs up really well for my work lunches, it makes for a delicious appetizer at dinner parties and it’s a great side dish.
Each of these delicious eggplant shells is jam packed with flavor. The key to this flavor is the slow roasted onions, peppers and garlic. I’ll admit it’s a bit time consuming but trust me, letting the vegetables really roast on the pan will be totally worth it. There are few savory items tastier than caramelized onions ahhhhhhh, so so good.
What’s my favorite part about it? If you are watching your carb intake like I am the majority of the time, then this heavenly dish is a no brainer. Traditionally, the shell of this recipe would be a potato but the eggplant is an awesome substitution. My taste buds love them even more!
The flavor from the garlic, roasted veggies, cinnamon and toasted parmesan all come together and complement each other so well…aaaaaaand I’m officially salivating just thinking about them.
Putting together a dinner party menu? Got a pot luck at work coming up? Looking for a new vegetarian dish to add to the recipe rotation? These are sure to be a hit. Give ‘em a shot and let me know what you think!
Save the pin below!
Stuffed Eggplants with Crusted Parmesan
Yield: 16 servings Total time: 1hr 15 mins
- 2 large eggplants
- 3 ripe vine tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 3 bell peppers of your choice
- 3 green onion stalks
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp pepper
- pinch of salt
- handful of chopped fresh basil
- 1 pkg (8 oz) fresh parmesan, grated
- Cut eggplants into quarters. Carefully cut the center of each eggplant quarter and put to the side. Take eggplant shells and cut in half. Line up the shells on a greased cookie sheet face up.
- Finely chop all peppers, onions, tomatoes and eggplant centers.
- Put 1 tbsp olive oil onto a pan on low heat and add onions. Brown the onions and cook for 40-45 mins until caramelized.
- Add garlic and stir for about 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant. Add peppers into the pan, stir ingredients and cook until peppers are fully sautéed. Add tomatoes, mix and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add cream cheese and mix until incorporated. Add cinnamon, salt, pepper and cayenne (optional), chilli flakes (optional) and stir. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes, remove from heat and turn off the stove.
- Scoop mixture onto the eggplant shells (should be heaping piles on each). Sprinkle each shell liberally with parmesan cheese (don’t be shy!) and put into the oven at 350°F. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the parmesan has formed a brown crust.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top of each shell.