I recently jumped on the acai bowl bandwagon craze. When smoothie bowls started going viral wasn’t your first thought, ‘Um, could someone please tell me what in the world is the difference between a smoothie bowl and an actual smoothie? What’s so special about this whole bowl thing? Am I the only one seeing this?!” Yep, my thoughts exactly.
BUUUUUT then I tried it out and I’ve honestly become a huge fan. Instead of grinding up all of your ingredients and drinking them down you’re tasting each flavor and texture individually.
And if I’m being truly honest (and letting my inner loser out) I’ll admit I find it really exciting picking and choosing which ingredients I want in each bite. Maybe I’ll take some acai, a strawberry, chocolate shavings in this bite and then I’ll take some granola, banana and coconut in the next bite. Mix it up each time, omg the endless possibilities!
There are a few keys to making a great smoothie bowl. The consistency of your base should be thick. Acai packs become fairly thin once defrosted so I thicken them up with some coconut milk, peanut butter and almond milk. Does the trick.
I’ll admit that while acai is a super healthy choice, it’s bitter. Like, really bitter. So the sweetness of the berries, bananas, coconut and chocolate shavings really balance it out. All of the flavors come together in harmony and the texture is creamy with some crunch.
All in all, acai bowls are easy to whip up and are a great way to start the day. I’ve included some of my personal favs in this one and if you give it a try or tweak it, I wanna hear about it!
Acai Smoothie Bowl
Yield: 2 medium bowls Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 frozen acai packs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (thick part)
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 4 tbsp. peanut butter
- handful of strawberries, chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced
- handful of granola (with almonds)
- handful of sweetened coconut shavings
- handful of dark chocolate shavings
- Put acai packs in a large, microwavable bowl and heat on low in microwave for 1-2 minutes (until fully melted).
- Add peanut butter, coconut milk and almond milk to bowl with acai and mix thoroughly. If need be, use a hand mixer to fully incorporate.
- Pour acai mixture into 2 bowls and add remaining ingredients on top.