This thing has got all of the breakfasty-fixin’s wrapped up in a tortilla of goodness that is ‘get in my belly’ yum.
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING makes me happier than brunch. Now brunch with some Mexican flair? Literally unbeatable. If you’re in need of a Sunday morning hangover cure, these breakfast burritos are here to save you.
I’m not gunna lie to y’all. While this is my favorite breakfast item, it’s not one that can be whipped up and served in a few minutes. It takes some time and love. If that’s not your thing, you can certainly make a few short-cuts. I’ve included all of my preferred ingredients in what I think is the ultimate flavor combo but go ahead and customize it to your liking.
What I love about breakfast burritos is that it’s a one-stop-shop. You’ve got your protein in the eggs, sausages and black beans. You’ve got your veggies in the peppers and onions. You’ve got your carbs in the tortilla. The whole thing together is one big breakfast explosion and is really filling so no need for sides.
Hot sauce and eggs? I mean has there ever been a more perfect harmony? Um, no, never. My recommendation is Tabasco’s Chipotle Sauce or Valentina to give these burritos an added bang. I’ve made the enchilada sauce fresh and included the recipe below but feel free to go for store bought. The enchilada sauce and melted cheese soften the tortillas in the oven and chopped cilantro and scallions finish the whole thing off with a cool freshness.
Breakfast Burritos in Enchilada Sauce
Yield: 6 burritos Total time: 1 hour
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder or cajun spice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the garlic in oil on medium-low heat. Add all spice and cook until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook, partially covered for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 10 eggs (or substitute 5 cups egg whites)
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 2 sausages, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 2 bell peppers, chopped finely
- 6 tortillas
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- hot sauce to taste
- Sauté the onions with the sausages on medium heat until browned and remove. In the same pan, sauté the peppers until browned. Add the peppers to the sausage mixture and set aside.
- Roast the beans in oil for about 5 minutes and keep turning them every few seconds until slightly charred. Add to the sausages and peppers.
- Scramble all eggs in a large bowl. Cook on low in the same pan until half cooked through. Add the sausage/pepper/beans mixture to the eggs. Add half of the cheese and mix. Remove from the heat.
- Oil the insides of a 9x11inch oven-safe dish. Pour about 1/3 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish and evenly spread. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Prep the burritos. Lay a tortilla on a flat, working surface. Spoon out 1/6 of the egg mixture in a line. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp. of cilantro on top of the eggs. Roll up the tortilla and place in the dish with the ends face down. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Spoon remaining enchilada sauce on top of each tortilla. Add remaining cheese on each as well. Sprinkle scallions on top. Put in the oven for about 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.