I think we could all use a little green in our lives, right?
Little would be an understatement. After eating what seemed to be an endless supply of cookies, cheesecake, macaroni and cheese, excetera, excetera (aka the stuff of dreams) over the holidays, my pants are feelin’ just a wee bit tight this week. Anyone else in the same boat? Brutal.
In an attempt to hop on board the ‘new year, new me’ train, I’ve been experimenting with fun, healthy recipes. For Christmas I got the “Cravings” recipe book by Chrissy Teigen (I know, where have I been? I should have picked this up a year ago). I’ve been tinkering with a few of her recipes and came across her Chicken Lettuce Wraps which are so on point.
It’s got a little bit of heat, a whole lotta veggies, bursts of flavor and packs a crunch!
I’ve tweaked the recipe to my liking. The most obvious being replacing minced chicken for turkey. Both are low in fat but I just so happened to find turkey with a lower fat content this time. I’ve added cabbage, carrots and cilantro which give these lettuce wraps a new dimension and decreased the amount of hoisin sauce to keep the sugars low.
These turkey lettuce wraps are most definitely an easy transition from the carb and sugar fest of the holidays. Stuffing your face with these crisp and fresh wraps is most definitely a good idea. Fill your life with some green goodness and start with these beauties! Hope the new year is off to a great start for y’all!
Recipe inspired by Cravings
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Yields: 12 wraps Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- handful of purple cabbage, chopped
- handful of carrots, thinly chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- half of white onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onion stalks, chopped
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 head green leaf lettuce (or butter lettuce)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix the sesame oil, 1 tbsp vegetable oil, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar, chili flakes and half of the ginger/garlic in a small bowl.
- On a pan over medium heat, add the vegetable oil, onions and remaining ginger/garlic and stir. Allow to cook until the onions are translucent and then add in minced turkey. Break up the turkey with a wooden spoon and add 2 tbsp of the sauce to the pan. Stir.
- Once turkey is cooked through, add in the red peppers, green onions, cabbage and carrots. Add 1 more tbsp of the sauce. Stir until fully mixed and remove from heat.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps. Drizzle with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds.