If you love french toast, I have a super easy, make-ahead, glorious breakfast to tell you about…
And if you don’t like french toast, your life is missing something seriously yummy and I suggest you eat this dish immediately (no joke, this needs to be fixed now). I realize I’ve been on a bit of a breakfasty kick lately but I thought hey, why not continue?
This delight starts how all recipes on planet earth should…with apples caramelized in butter and brown sugar.
Layer hunks of your favorite bread with the caramelized apples and clumps of cream cheese then pour the egg mixture on top. Poof! Bake it and you’ve got yourself a seriously delicious, seriously filling breakfast. You can prep your dish the day before to really let the flavors marinate and simply pop it in the oven the next morning. Waking up to the smell of apples and cinnamon is my kinda Sunday morning.
Standard french toast will just no longer do!
Now because it’s the season and all, I’ve taken it a step further and drizzled the top of my french toast bake with a very simple cranberry sauce. Feel free to skip if you’re not feelin’ it but if you are a sucker for an apple-cranberry combo then you are in for a treat my friends!
For a healthier alternative, replace the majority of eggs with egg whites.
Waking up in the morning has never been so easy…
Apple French Toast Bake with Cranberry Drizzle
Yield: 6 large squares Total time: 1.5 hours
French Toast Bake Ingredients:
- 1 loaf of your choice of bread (I’ve used soft wheat)
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1.5 cups cranberries
- 2 apples (1 sweet, 1 tart)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
French Toast Bake Directions:
- Cut apples into small slices or finely chop. Put butter into a frying pan on medium heat. Once melted, add apples, 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Mix thoroughly and let apples cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Grease a rectangular, 9 inch wide pan. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes and place half into the pan. Spread half of the apples on top. Take 1/2 inch scoops of cream cheese and dollop on apples. Layer the remaining bread and then remaining apples.
- In a large bowl, scramble the eggs. Add milk, remaining cinnamon, syrup and sugar. Pour mixture on top of bread layers.
- Refrigerate covered for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
- Set oven to 350ºF. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or until eggs are cooked through. Top with cranberry drizzle and syrup.
Cranberry Drizzle Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups cranberries
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Cranberry Drizzle Directions:
- Place all ingredients in a pot and boil uncovered until all cranberries have popped open.
- Leaving the majority of the water, scoop out the cranberries and blend. Drizzle on top of french toast bake.