Summer in a glass is always a good idea, am I right?
Isn’t summer all about having a fruity drink in hand? The kinda drinks that were made to be topped with a little paper umbrella? Ohhhhhh, yes. I made my very first trip to Cuba last summer and had hands down, the greatest piña coladas on planet earth. Made from fresh coconuts, these things were to die for…and also, super dangerous. Who knew I could 4 piña coladas in a row, no problem?
So, how does one compete with the olympic level tropical drinks of Cuba at home? Guess what, I may have just come up with a winning combination.
To get that out of this world coconuty flavor, I used pure creamed coconut blended with coconut milk. What ingredient compliments coconuts better than pineapples? Nothing! Freshly pureed pineapples add a fruity, tangy flavor to the creamy texture.
Throw a sliced lime, pineapple and mint leaf around the rim, add the most colorful straw you can find and you’ll feel like you’re sipping a cocktail on the beach!
Brighten up your week with a bright piña colada!
- 1 pkg creamed coconut (141 g)
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1.5 cups white rum
- 2 pineapples, cored
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 cups ice
- coconut shavings as garnish (optional)
- Puree the pineapples in a vegetable processor. Leave a few slices as garnish.
- In a small bowl, mix the warm water with the creamed coconut to break it up and stir. It doesn't have to be fully mixed.
- Using a blender, add the pureed pineapple, creamed coconut, lime juice, coconut milk, rum and ice. Blend until smooth. Place blender cup in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer. You may need to blend again to get a pouring consistency. Pour into glasses and add a pineapple slice to each. Serve!