I’m pretty sure it’s been scientifically proven that everything tastes better with a touch of cajun spices.
I’m like 99% sure that’s correct and no, those are not my Southern roots talkin’. Let’s be real, adding a little southern flair to a standard potato dish never hurt anyone and we’ve got the southern spices on repeat! These little gems have never steered me wrong. They’re so simple to make. They’re a break from the flavor norm. Perfect as a breakfast hash or a dinner side.
Obviously, when you’re talking potatoes, you’re not talking healthy. This dish is full of cheese and definitely full of carbs so you’re looking at a splurge all the way. (PS – Remember when carbs weren’t the worst things in the entire world? Those were such good days). However the way I look at it is, if you’re going to cheat it might as well be at brunch time, right? OMG brunch. Side note, is it even humanly possible to not be in love with brunch?
So, here’s the rundown. You toss yukon gold potatoes, red onions and a myriad of peppers in a marinade of fresh garlic, olive oil, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, Cajun spice mix and top it off with cilantro and cheddar cheese. And if you dare, throw some fresh chopped jalapenos in there to really kick it up a notch!
You may not be besties with cilantro, and obviously it’s not a make or break. However, I must go out on a limb for this herb I love so dearly and make the argument that it seriously takes these Cajun potatoes to a new level. The fresh burst amidst diverse spices and melted cheese is just too good to pass up y’all!
My personal favorite way to eat these cajun beauties is on a plate next to some Breakfast Burritos in Enchilada Sauce and doused in a mixture of ketchup and chipotle tabasco. If you are unfamiliar with chipotle tabasco you have not lived and I highly suggest you start living. It is THE BEST.
Put a spin on the traditional breakfast potato! This one’s a keeper for the ages and will elevate any brunch or side dish experience. Give it a try and I’d love to hear how it works out!
Happy cooking y’all!
- 8 yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped julienne
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped julienne
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped julienne
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, plus 1 tsp
- 1 tbsp Cajun spice mix, plus 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp chipotle hot sauce (optional, I chose chipotle tabasco)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Add potatoes, onions, bell peppers and jalapenos to a 9x11 inch pan.
- Mix the oil, garlic and all of the spices in a small bowl. Pour on top of the potatoes and vegetables and mix until fully incorporated. Cover with aluminum foil and cook at 425ºF for 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven. Sprinkle the remaining cayenne pepper and Cajun spice on top and cook, uncovered for another 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle the cilantro and cheese on top. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove and serve.