Few things on earth taste as great as a sweet ripe peach, am I right?
Don’t you sometimes just love a super simple meal? I feel like they have to include only a few ingredients and each needs to be superbly fresh.
I’ll be the first to admit, I typically tend to try and complicate recipes. I always ponder, “what if I were to throw this spice on top?” or “how would the taste change if we added this herb instead?”. I’m always searching for a bunch of intense flavors that come together to make my taste buds jump. Every so often, I need to remind myself that this can be achieved with a few simple ingredients. Case in point, this salad right here.
Oh, caprese salads. How I love thee. The standard makeup of a great caprese salad is slices of tomatoes sandwiched between mozzarella and then topped with chopped basil and olive oil. Get yourself some sweet, fresh tomatoes and this is a knockout salad. However, since it’s summer and all and being that I’m from Georgia I thought, let’s replace the tomatoes with peaches.
And not just any peaches. GRILLED peaches. I brushed these sweet little sunshines with a bit of brown sugar and butter and grilled them just for a few minutes. I usually love my caprese salads with buffalo mozzarella but unfortunately I did have any here (I know, a crime) so I used regular mozzarella. For texture and flavor though, the spongy consistency of the buffalo mozzarella works best so if you can grab this from the store, do so! I slipped in whole basil leaves and then drizzled a simple honeyed balsamic reduction on top.
Sprinkle some salt and pepper to create contrast with the sweet peaches and voila, a killer caprese salad awaits you! If you’ve never tried fruit in this delicious salad, you should definitely start now. I hope you enjoy and let me know how it turns out!
- 3 ripe peaches, quartered
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a small bowl, add the brown sugar and mix. Brush the sliced face of the peaches with the butter. Grill the peaches, sliced face down for about 8 minutes on low.
- In a small saucepan add the balsamic vinegar and honey. Cook on medium-low until simmering for a few minutes. Reduce heat and once thickened, remove from the heat.
- Layer the grilled peaches, mozzarella and basil on a large platter. Drizzle the balsamic reduction on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.