Is anyone else grasping on to the last bits of summer? Moi aussi.
I think its safe to say that this has been the summer of rosé. I feel like everywhere I turned it was rosé popsicles, frosé, rosé-EVERYTHING…and I gotta say, it has brought me a great amount of joy. I mean, who wouldn’t want to sip on a light and refreshing pink beverage in the sun? Let’s be real, if you’re not a fan of rosé, you should probably get your vitals checked.
With that in mind, what could be more appropriate as summer is coming to an end than to add one more rosé bevvy to the list? I can think of nothing more absolutely necessary right now.
I typically drink wine plane Jane and it’s usually my drink of choice. Just pour it in a glass and I’m good to go. When I break tradition and order a cocktail, I want it to include fresh ingredients and be freshly mixed. Don’t you get so irritated when you go out and the bartender hands you bottled orange juice and vodka in a glass? Yea, no. That just ain’t gunna cut it.
I would never ever do that to you! Berry sparkling rosé cocktail pretty much says it all in the name but I’ll give you all the juicy details in this heavenly beverage. Fresh berries are boiled in lemon and sugar. The juice strained is used as the base and is mixed with a little vodka and sprite. I add a really fun and refreshing ingredient, orange blossom. Have you tried this before? It has a syrupy consistency and is a bit like elderflower. Orange blossom adds a hint of floral and creates more depth to the cocktail which I LOOOOVE.
Now for the main event – pour in your favorite rosé and let it fizz! What’s your favorite rosé? I feel so spoiled living in Ontario with a variety of amazing wines. I definitely jumped on the Lola craze this summer and I’m so not ashamed. Not to influence your decision on a rosé (wink, wink!) but this sparkling wine is everything. It’s light but still has depth. It’s bubbly but not in an over the top, champagne kind of way. It tastes great, it’s incredibly refreshing and is the perfect addition to this cocktail. If you haven’t tried Lola by Pelee Island Winery, you’re missing out!
Toss some berries on top and behold, a fruity, summery cocktail! What’s been your cocktail of choice this summer? You should definitely add this one to the list.
Happy drinking, y’all!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of each berry (raspberries, strawberries & blueberries)
- 2 bottles of rosé
- 1 tbsp orange blossom (optional)
- 3/4 cup vodka
- 1 cup sprite
- In a small saucepan, combine the berries, sugar, water and lemon juice. Heat on medium and allow the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Remove and strain the berries into a bowl.
- In a shaker with ice, add 2 tbsp of berries or, desired amount, a dash of orange blossom and a 4th of the vodka into a shaker and shake. Pour into a glass. Repeat for the remaining glasses.
- Add the sprite to each glass, then fill to the top with rosé. Add a few whole berries on top and serve! (Based on these measurements, you will have some berry reduction remaining in case someone would like more berries in their drink).