Get ready for a fully loaded burger, packed with essential Greek flavors and topped with a sauce that is finger-lickin’ good!
Lamb haters beware, this is a legit lamb burger. Lamb haters also beware, I am determined to change your mind with this recipe. Really and truly, if you like biting into a burger that is tender enough to melt in your mouth, this right here has your name written all over it. The meat is packed with tons of complimenting spices, garlic and fresh mint.
I don’t go for burgers often but when I do, I have some criteria. First item on that list is layering. I feel like a great burger needs lots of layers of flavors and textures that keep you guessing but go together just right. These Greek burgers have a layer of tzatziki, then the burger patty, 2 types of cheese, onions (caramelized in the same pan as the lamb YASSS), a tomato, mixed greens and one more spread of tzatziki. Legit, the holy grail of layering.
Second, I want the cheese to be super melty. I put the brie on the lamb immediately after taking it off the heat to make sure it melted right away. Then I put crumbled feta on top of it because why wouldn’t you use 2 types of cheese and hello, cheese is the greatest thing on planet earth! Oh, and this is a GREEK burger so I feel like throwing feta anywhere and everywhere is a necessity, right?
Last, but a million percent not least, a great sauce (and the RIGHT sauce) really takes a burger to a ‘knock it outta the park’ level for me. Behold, tzatziki!! I could honestly eat my weight in tzatziki…but I won’t…I mean I’ll try really hard not to. I smother the top bun and bottom bun to top the burger off with a fresh cucumber, mint and dill flavor.
This one ticks off all the boxes. Moist and flavorful burger patty? Check. Tons of cheese? Check. Layers of fresh vegetables? Check. Great sauce? Check. What more could you want?
Savor these last days of summer with a super summery burger! Your taste buds will thank you.
Happy cooking y’all!
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1.5 lbs. ground lamb
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Half a small round of brie cheese
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta
- half a small red onion, sliced
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp crumbled feta
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients and mix. Return to the fridge to keep cold.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices. In a large bowl, add the minced lamb. Sprinkle with the minced garlic, mint and all of the spices. Using your hands, mix to distribute the flavorings. Be careful not to over-mix as this will make the meat dry. Take 6 large scoops and form flattened patties. Set aside.
- On a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oi. Add the burger patties to the pan. Cook on one side until browned (about 5 minutes), then flip and cook the other side until it is brown. Remove. Repeat for all patties.
- With the heat still on, add the onion slices and cook for about a minute. Remove.
- Add the cheese on top of each burger so it melts. Top with onions and tzatziki. Serve.