If the “grilled halloumi” portion of this recipe’s title didn’t grab you, you should probably check your pulse!
Holy drooooool! I mean, halloumi cheese is absolutely incredible. Toasted on some bread, it’s even better. Halloumi cheese grilled? On another level!
I will say, as much has I love the diversity of ingredients and the freshness of salads, sometimes it’s hard to constantly be eating greens. Switching up different flavor combinations and ingredients is crucial to keep it interesting. I’ve made several salads with halloumi before but this was my first time grilling the cheese and it really does give another dimension to this salad.
In between the layers of cheese are chopped cherries, blackberries and picked red onions. The saltiness in the cheese and onions is curbed by the sweetness of the fruits and let me tell you, it is delish!
This salad does not make me crave meat in the slightest! It’s super easy to go vegetarian and truly is a full-filling meal. This is no wimpy salad y’all.
And because I love crazy flavor bombs, no salad should ever go without freshly chopped herbs! The mixture of berries, cheese and basil kicks this salad into high gear.
If you’re looking for a dish that’s healthy but still delivers on flavor, give this one a try!
Happy cooking y’all!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Handful of pitted cherries
- Handful of blackberries
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup picked onions
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 cup shaved almonds
- 1 package halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and place halloumi slices on the skillet. Grill on each side for about 3 minutes each or until slightly browned and crispy. Remove and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the mixed greens and all other ingredients. Add halloumi cheese once cooled.
- In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients together.
- Drizzle on top of the salad and toss. Serve!